I am an award winning poet. My first full collection won the Eyewear’s Melita Hume Prize and Psalmody is due to be published in 2016. My first pamphlet Paga was published by Cinnamon Press in 2015. My fiction has been shortlisted and I am currently working on a novel.
I have a PhD in Creative Writing from Aberystwyth University where I taught for from 2008 to 2014. I currently teach writing and literature at the University of Maryland, University College on campuses across the UK.
I give frequent poetry readings and lead independent workshops for schools and community groups as well as teach creative writing one on one by appointment.
2011-Present The University of Maryland, European Division, Assistant Professor
I teach critical and creative writing face to face and online. I have developed my own pedagogical techniques for teaching Creative Writing online. For example, I create conference areas where students and I interact over readings and activities. I make it a requirement in the rubric to participate. Students are rewarded with good grades for leading discussions, asking relevant questions and creating debate which creates a lively and team-based learning environment.
2009-2014 Aberystwyth University, Postgraduate Tutor: Demonstrating excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, I plan and deliver seminars and lectures. Through writing and presenting seminar lectures to students, I also demonstrate the ability verbally to communicate enthusiastically and effectively. I supervised final year students’ creative and critical dissertations. The role also involves administrative duties, in particular preparation, marking, feedback and advising.
Prizes, Publications, Poetry Readings and Conferences
Publications: My pamphlet ‘Paga,’ was published with Cinnamon Press in March, 2015. My first full collection ‘Psalmody’ is due to be published with Eyewear, June 2016.
• New Welsh Review
• Ofi Press
• Cadaverine Magazine
• Sentinel Literary Quarterly
• The Literary Bohemian
• Scintilla Press Issue 2
• The James Dickey Review.
Poems in anthologies include:
• The Poet’s Quest for God: 21st Century Poems of Spirituality, Eyewear , 2016.
• Cheval 7, Parthian, 2014
• The Book of Euclid, and Reaching Out, Cinnamon Press. 2013.
• Shortlisted for first novel prize with Cinnamon Press, 2015.
• Joint winner of the Melita Hume First Collection Prize, 2015.
• Shortlisted for the Castello di Duino International Poetry Competition, 2014.
• Long Listed for the Cinnamon Press Short Story Award, 2014.
• Shortlisted for the Melita Hume Poetry Prize, 2013.
• Nominated by the editor of Popshot for the Forward Prize, 2013.
• Shortlisted for the Bridport Prize, 2012.
• Honourable Mention in the Single Poem Category of the 2012 New Writer competition.
In order to contact this person you can fill in this form and we will contact them on your behalf.