Romi Jones is a prose writer with two decades experience of combining creative writing with community involvement to enable individuals to express their dreams and frustrations.
Recently Romi has explored working in collaboration across art forms with sound artist and glass artist in participatory projects.
In 2014 Romi was awarded a Winston Churchill Fellowship to study creative writing with people with dementia in USA/Canada, building on previous projects during which she wrote 'Dementia Dilemmas' a series of six flash fiction.
Romi has an MA in Creative Writing (with Distinction) from Newcastle University and a ‘Northern Promise Award’ from New Writing North. Her short stories have been published by Bloomsbury and Biscuit Books. She is obsessed with the Northumberland coast and is currently working on a novel ‘The Boy in the Beach Hut’
-OUTER PLACES:INNER VOICES: an installation of words and sounds resulting from a collaboration with sound artist Geoff Sample and local charity Bell View, Belford, exploring older people's sense of 'belonging' in rural North Northumberland, displayed at the Watchtower Gallery, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Oct.2015. (part funded by Arts Council England)
-Meet me @NGC. Collaborating with glass artist at the National Glass Centre to run participatory sessions for older people with dementia and their carers.
-Winston Churchill Fellowship 2014 to study creative writing in USA/Canada
-NHS Northumberland, Tyne & Wear. 2013. Writer in Residence, Dementia Services, Newcastle
-New Writing North /Newcastle University Changing Age: Dementia Writing Project 2011-12
Creative Writing Workshops in the community:
• ‘Big Local Whitely Bay’ Community Consultation using creative writing.2013
• Rothbury Soul Suppers April 2013
• Newcastle Carers – 2013
• Age UK Gateshead older people’s social groups 2012
• North Northumberland Women’s Network – writing workshops 2006-2012
• ProudWords Creative Writing festival: facilitator 2000-2005
• Bishop Auckland Library - ‘New Masters’ workshop 2006
• YWCA young women’s participation project 1994
• ‘Living the Difference’ oral history project for immigrant women in Australia 1991
Membership- National Association of Writers in Education
Insurance/CRB up to date
Awards and competitions
• New Writing North Fast Track Fiction programme for new novelists (2010)
• NWN Northern Promise Award (2007)
• Asham Award (2006) published finalist
• Biscuit Publishing (2004) published finalist
Published Short Stories
Eminem and the Virgin Mary in Don’t Know a Good Thing (Bloomsbury 2006,)
Red Centre in The Nude in Miss Mae’s Bedroom. ( Biscuit 2005)
Current Work in Progress
• First novel ‘It Really Doesn’t Matter’,
(unpublished, short listed for Unbound Press Best Novel Award 2010)(Long listed Aurora Metro Virginia Prize 2009)
• Second novel ‘The Boy in the Beach Hut’ in progress with literary agent interest
• Third Novel ‘How Did You Stop The War in Afghanistan, Grandma?’ in progress
• Rag and Bone Shop of Feminist Hearts - collection of short stories on the theme of Ordinary Things in Extraordinary Places seeking publication
• MA Creative Writing (Dist.) University of Newcastle 2005
• Post Grad Cert.. Collaborative Action Research. Northumbria Uni 2002
• MA. Women’s Studies University of Warwick 1995
• BA (Hons.) Flinders University, South Australia 1991
• BA Open University 1984
In order to contact this person you can fill in this form and we will contact them on your behalf.